[MUD-Dev] MMORPG, buildings, is it bad to be just props?

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Thu Feb 20 20:32:11 CET 2003

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 21:56:33 -0500
Amanda Walker <amanda at alfar.com> wrote:

> In DAoC, I'd loved to have a similar facility (along with a "spiff up
> the armor the usual amount, good smith..." command).  "Macros" of this
> sort are not even unrealistic--if you become a "regular" at a store or
> restaurant, a good staff will start to figure out how to anticipate
> your needs.

At one point I was a frequent enough visitor at my local Peets
(http://www.peets.com/) that should I be seen approaching the building
by the time I got there there'd be a double espresso con panna (made
with heavy cream, not whipped cream) waiting on a table for me.  It was
a small thing, no great shakes really, even for the few times that
wasn't what I'd wanted -- however, somehow after they started that I
never did bother going to another coffee shop instead.  There's a
subjective sense of investment there, almost one of willing social
obligation, that wouldn't be a bad thing at all to create in things like
TSO or Furcadia, let alone GoP MUDs attempting to soften their elder
game problems.

--
J C Lawrence