[MUD-Dev] Justification for audit trails in guilds?

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Feb 21 02:18:57 CET 2003

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, eric wrote:
> From: "Matt Mihaly" <the_logos at achaea.com>

>> They have the ability to do so. It requires a bit of work on
>> their part though. (corruption would never happen if the auditing
>> was automatic)

> That last bit is a pretty large statement. And I see no reasonable
> methods to insure that. If you have positions of power, then that
> power can be abused, there is no solution to that as long as
> flawed humans are the holders of power. I could maybe imagine a
> superior being with infinite memory and time that could maintain
> an flawless audit system, but where you gonna get one of those?

Yes, true enough, it could happen sometime. But in a world where I
AM a superior being and I CAN log -everything-, it's not hard to
deter people from doing it. Even with the explicit possibility for
corruption now, huge cases of it are very rare, because of the
extreme reprecussions. The only way to be in a position to abuse
that kind of power is to be elected to it, and no guild in Achaea is
going to elect someone who hasn't invested a lot of energy into the
world. Politics isn't for the uninvested. The consequences are also
rather extreme in a world where you aren't allowed to just pass your
equipment off to an alt to use (We'll just turn both of you into
shrubs if we catch you.) and where ripping off an entire
organization like that opens you to PK from the entire organization.

--matt