[MUD-Dev] MMORPG, buildings, is it bad to be just props?

Chris Holko cholko at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 21 06:20:00 CET 2003

From: "Amanda Walker" <amanda at alfar.com>

> I remember when this was added to AC (for magic components, before
> they did away with components altogether).  You got the normal
> vendor menu, typed "/fillcomps", and it automatically filled your
> "buy" list with whatever you needed to get back up to whatever
> "stocking" level you'd set for each component.  Made restocking
> much simpler, and there was great rejoicing in the land.

This was a great example of players leading the way.  AC, for better
or for worse, has an active third party developer community.
Through the use of a plug in named Decal the developers have
extended the game beyond the investment of the game's creators.
Initially these applications served to removed tedium, like buying
spell components, then progressed in providing a better
representation of in game information, like putting floating
health/mana bars for fellowship members.  They even added IRC
clients, MP3 players, and one person introduced a limited browser!

To see just how far they took the lead look at the recent changes in
the game.  AC recently added a marketplace.  this custom dungeon was
created just to hold player controlled tradebots .  These tradebots
are an advanced plug-in for the decal application.  They do more
than game vendors, including remembering if you have purchased
items.

For those who haven't seen Decal, let alone AC1, just search out
Decal on sourceforge.  It was an incredible extension of the game.
While it did lead to some detrimental plug-ins the overall idea was
very good.