[MUD-Dev] MMORPG/MMOG P2P design

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Wed Feb 26 18:34:34 CET 2003

"Crosbie Fitch" <crosbie at cyberspaceengineers.org> wrote:
> From: Felix A. Croes

>> How would you actually handle trust?  I've checked out your web
>> page, but you do no more than posit that such a trust system,
>> once it exists, can solve all your problems.

> Well, only all the 'trust' problems...

> This is a problem that faces more than p2p systems. If it isn't
> soluble then we're all shafted.

> However, humans have solved it for their own trust relationships,
> which helps lead me to believe that it is soluble. And I don't
> reckon it's an 'AI-hard' problem.

Assuming that a human-equivalent solution of the "trust" problem
exists, it does not follow that the resulting P2P system is suited
for running a MUD.  Among humans, the sky doesn't fall when someone
tells a lie.  Also, humans sometimes resort to consulting a central
authority to resolve conflicts, something a P2P system cannot do by
definition (I am not just arguing semantics here; introducing a
central authority to a P2P system may introduce a fatal weakness).

You've answered my three questions on a case-by-case basis, rather
than with a cogent trust model.  Creating such a model, while maybe
not equivalent to creating AI, is definitely a hard problem, and one
you have to solve before you can get anywhere with P2P MUDs.

Regards,
Felix Croes