[MUD-Dev] RE: The Price of Being Male

Castronova Castronova
Tue Jul 1 10:17:31 CEST 2003

From: Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes kamikaze at kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu

> Most men don't want to appear female, simply because that's not
> what they are or care to be viewed as.  And that really is normal
> and OK; not everyone is an androgynous bisexual transvestite.

truer words were never writ. not everyone is an androgynous bisexual
transvestite.

*******

the argument is, men just like being men, so a preference by men for
male avatars is not discrimination.

but instead of just assuming that men like being men, and calling
that normal, let's go ahead and ask the question: why do men like
being men?

you know, here's one thing i haven't heard from any man in this
discussion, here or elsewhere: "Your study is wrong. I like playing
female avatars. Being female is more fun and less hassle." Some have
said they like playing females to look at the avatar's nice-looking
body. Others have said females get gifts and are groups, so they
should be better off. But no man has said that they actually do play
a female avatar because, on the whole, they like how gameplay is
when you're female. But quite a few women have said that about
fronting as male.

Edward Castronova