[MUD-Dev] The Price of Being Male

Rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Tue Jul 1 10:52:38 CEST 2003

From: "Paul Schwanz" <pschwanz at comcast.net>
> Marian Griffith wrote:
>> In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Mon 30 Jun, Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes

>> Most men do not want to appear female you say, and I have no
>> doubt that is true, but how much has that to do with their self
>> image, and how much with a cultural bias that it is ultimately
>> shamefull for a man to appear feminine? In other words, do men
>> (in general) chose male avatars because they want to, or because
>> they fear that female avatar will make other people (men!) think
>> they are girlish or even worse, gay. Note that there is a reverse
>> bias in women but that is not nearly as strong.

> I want to play a male because I *am* male.  I wear male clothing
> because I *am* male.  It is really as simple as that.  I see
> nothing in the data presented that would indicate conclusively
> that the same is not the case for the vast majority of those who
> purchased male avatars.

But if it's that simple, would you never play a game where you were
a female? I'll toss out Tomb Raider, again. If males want to play
males because they are male, then I would expect Tomb Raider to have
changed from Lara Croft to Larry Croft.

If it's because you are male, so you want to play a male, when there
are others around to judge you as male or female, then it becomes
sociological and psychological.

    rayzam
    www.travellingbard.com