[MUD-Dev] Architecture (Cell Rebalancing)

Peter Peter
Tue Jul 1 15:52:04 CEST 2003

<Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com> Wrote:

> I'd argue that this approach is over engineered. If player density

> Of course an alternative is to look at non-spacial paritioning. Do
> cell's need to reflect geographical position? Its certainly not
> required, but when you start factoring in AI navigation, object
> interactions etc it seems that geographic association is needed at
> least somewhere in the system.

This is exactly the though-train i am following now. The only one
subsystem that I have identified so far, is the "Spatial Database" -
and that could run on multiple components too. There was actualy
quite a research in this area, although they would be not directly
applicable to PWs. ("papers like: Performance of Data-Parallel
Spatial Operations" etc.)  There has even been research done for
path-finding for distributed databases...

Peter "Pietro" Rossmann