[MUD-Dev] RE: The Price of Being Male

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Wed Jul 2 09:57:49 CEST 2003

On Tuesday, July 1, 2003, at 05:36  PM, Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes wrote:

> Women dislike being seen as men as much as men dislike being seen
> as women.  Don't believe me?  Go up behind a woman who's not
> extremely feminine-looking or in a dress, and call her "sir".
> When you regain consciousness, you can call that "research".

I encourage you to actually perform this experiment, and its
counterpart: walk up behind a man and call him "ma'am".  Compare the
men and women.  Many women find being mistaken for men annoying.
Many men find being mistaken for women deeply offensive or even
"fightin' words."  Now, that said, the situations are not terribly
analogous.

> There certainly *are* men who routinely play female characters (as
> opposed to brief experiments), especially on roleplay-heavy MUDs,
> but they make up a few perent of the male population at most.

In graphical MUDs/MMO games, they consistently outnumber real-life
women, though.  Not sure about text MUDs.

Amanda Walker