[MUD-Dev] Display Cheats [Was Re: MMO Launch issues...]

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Wed Jul 2 10:38:56 CEST 2003

From: Phillip Lenhardt [mailto:philen at monkey.org]
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2003, Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:

>> Only problem I have with planetside is people cheat, by
>> manipulating graphics card settings, to reveal stealthed players.

> An ancient problem.  People do this for console games too,
> fiddling with the contrast and brightness.  Metroid Prime for the
> Gamecube makes it harder to do so by having an infrared and
> ultraviolet visor mode that you need fairly often.  In infra,
> everything is dark and low-contrast and in ultra, everything is
> bright and low-contrast. So you either play the game as intended
> or you spend all your time fiddling with your tv controls instead
> of playing.

The difference with console games is that I'm not competing with
people directly head to head. If they want to cheat in a single
player game, then I couldn't care less.

When I get shot and die in planetside through someones cheating, I
get a little irate however. Actually the cheat isn't as simple as
fiddling with contrast, they have to go into gfx card settings and
turn off fog table emulation. It then messes with the subtle alpha
blending of stealthed characters making them stand out like a sore
thumb when at distance.

I've also heard rumours of aimbots, but not sure if its true. People
often claim foul when they get shot ;)

Dan