[MUD-Dev] The Price of Being Male

Dr. Cat cat at realtime.net
Wed Jul 2 18:54:15 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-29 at 07:57, Rayzam wrote:

> Will players pay for special appearances? Probably again. This is
> a revenue stream that can be followed by others. Granted I don't
> know if it's currently occurring in games [There, Furcadia].

The "last descendant of Habitat", known as Dreamscape, was bringing
in thousands of dollars per month at its peak by selling items of
clothing.  Furcadia generates most of its revenue by selling people
one of three styles of wings, or the ability to use a gryphon,
dragon, or phoenix avatar.  We also sell "portrait spaces" which let
a player upload a custom character portrait instead of using the
default built-in ones.

Well, it's a living.  Nobody's getting rich here, but we did just
buy a nice house with a swimming pool (always a plus in Texas!)

I am curious about hybrid models, where there's both a subscription
fee, and optional extras that players can buy as well.  I don't
think there's been many games to date that have experimented with
that.