[MUD-Dev] Material state transformations

Nicolai Hansen nic at aub.dk
Thu Jul 3 06:28:37 CEST 2003

From: "Yuri Bazhukov" <ybazhukov at ktl.ru>

> Exactly this I would to know.  Do you have ideas which data should
> be stored in array?  I can think only about density, which can
> determine, can object sink or surface, and, with big different of
> densities, one object could broke another object.  Also color of
> different state, which people can see when look at object.
> Anybody know other "visual" characteristics?

There is a lot ;)

  - You can smell a material in gaseous state (yes, liquids and
  solids also smell, see below).

  - A gas will always be see-through. Most liquids are, too, solids
  are (almost) never.

  - A liquid state can dissolve other materials in a much greater
  extend than a solid state, while a gaseous state can not dissolve
  any materials at all. Gaseous state materials can BE dissolved by
  liquids and solids.

  - Two gasous state materials, though, are completely mixable.

  - A solid state material can contain other materials (as keeping
  them inside). Liquid or gaseous state materials can't.

  - A gaseous state material can flow freely within its container
  (and sometimes also freely out of it, but that's a bad container
  for the material).

  - A liquid state material can flow freely within its container,
  but only where gravity allows it (water can't flow upwards -
  there's a few exceptions to this considering surface tensions but
  lets not get into that)

  - A solid state material does not flow (again, exceptions, though
  these are mostly counted as liquid state even though people
  normally think of it as a solid: rubbers, glass)

I could think up more if I had more time ;)

BUT the most important is that no material ever exists as a pure
liquid or solid, AND that the transition between two states require
(a lot of) energy.  At room temperature (22 centigrade, 295 Kelvin
[temperature in Kelvin is 273,15 degrees above the celsius
temperature, someone asked this :p]) there will always be a water
pressure of about 0.05 atmosphere and this will slowly increase as
the temperature increases. When the temperature reaches 100 degrees
(373 Kelvin) this vapor pressure will be (you guessed it?) 1
atmosphere and the atmospheric pressure can no longer keep it down,
so it starts to boil.  But this pressure is why you can smell
liuids. The liquid in itself does not smell :o)

-Nic