[MUD-Dev] Architecture (Cell Rebalancing)

Rossmann Peter peter.rossmann at siemens.com
Thu Jul 3 12:06:38 CEST 2003

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 13:59:40 -0700
ceo <ceo at grexengine.com> wrote:

> currently does). You want to be abstracting things that work
> together in practical terms e.g. by looking at working-sets
> (c.f. a google search for "working set" if you don't know the
> term) and making sure each clump of related/non-independent data
> is grouped together in the abstraction. ISTR JC spoke a couple of
> times about dependent working sets on the night before the MDC (in
> relation to a dicussion on geographical partitioning).

I havent been thinking that deeply about your words, (because i was
confused by why you mention working sets) until now:

  My idea of working sets is that i would never see any page paged
  out, because that would be too high price to pay. (for real-time
  systems; or for near-to RT). so for me it would be just enough, as
  a build phase, to run the Working Set Optimiser.

On the other hand, there are other (and similar) things that needs
absolute attention in such enviroment (mainly at design phase):

for parallel enviroment (or Multithreaded):

  Using message passing, you need to minimize communication so that
  your remote computation "pays for itself".  There are no cache
  conflicts.  Using shared memory, you need to optimize data layout
  so to minimize cache misses.  Otherwise, your program, even though
  it is expressed in a concurrent fashion, could run very very slow.

Pietro