[MUD-Dev] Programming Languages.

Bruce Mitchener bruce at cubik.org
Thu Jul 3 20:39:06 CEST 2003

Christopher Kohnert wrote:

> Mixture of C/C++ of course. But the question wasn't about Rapture,
> it was about MUDs. Pretty much all modern languages are going to
> be implemented on some level in C/C++ (even if it's just linking
> with libc), but again, that has little to do with implementing a
> MUD in any of them.

And using this as an excuse to go further off topic ... many
languages these days compile to C rather than implement their own
native compilers, or provide some other means of translation.

There was a pretty cool thesis done about the compilation of
functional programming languages with GCC, with a focus on tail call
optimization. But it covers a lot of interesting ground that is more
broadly applicable:

     http://home.in.tum.de/~baueran/thesis/

The last language that I worked with extensively at the
runtime/compiler level compiled to C for use with gcc.  It provided
a lot of the niceties of a fairly high level language, but with
pretty good efficiency, although it did lengthen the compile/run
cycle.  It was a lot easier to deal with that than it is dealing
with Psyco for Python and its runtime JIT compiler that is x86
specific.

Cheers,

  - Bruce