[MUD-Dev] Internationalisation: The effect of Tongues in virtual societes

Peter Peter
Thu Jul 3 22:57:49 CEST 2003

I've been carrying an idea about this one for a long, long time.  It
is about virtual societe and the tongoues. (i use "tongue" here to
make it distinct from a programming language)

Perhaps, i need to explain some of my "tongue" background.

  I was born in the city of Bratislava, Czechoslovakia. That city
  was originaly tri-lingual. [slovak or czech, german, hungarian] Me
  too. Those languages has not included english, though. but i
  somehow got it from reading the autocad manuals :). much later, i
  have moved over whole europe, using the english as a perfect
  match-maker. nobody had spoken english well, including me; that
  has put us on the same level.

back to the problem:

  but now, the world opens more once again. we've got virtual
  worlds.  everybody likes it, everybody wants to have it. even the
  "rest" of the world that is non-english speaking. So they get
  in. and then, evem that the player can generally communicate in
  english, he will be laid off. because all this games are built
  around socializing, in which he cannot take a part. he has never
  met words like grinding, threadmilling [if he don't goes to gym]
  and such.  So, i am wondering - would the VW (virtual worlds, not
  volkswagen) help to unite us by usage of english? Or will it be
  dedicated only to those speeking (writing) english?

please also don't forget about many applications of UOX3 (amateur UO
server) running only because of the "tongue" reason.  i personally
has been playing on one such czech server and i enjoyed it very much
that everybody speaks czech.

pietro

ps: this idea has refreshed itseft when i've been fighting with my
inability to express myself properly in all my previous posts. (this
including :))