[MUD-Dev] Who Killed Miss Norway?

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Fri Jul 4 17:43:59 CEST 2003

From: Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com

> Let me frame it another way. Properly immersing oneself in a
> virtual world requires a fair degree of 'suspension of
> disbelief'. Every time you remind people that it is game world,
> distinct to the real one they inhabit, you shatter that carefully
> crafted illusion.

> Furthermore, memorials to real world events are likely to show a
> cultural bias that may well exclude foreigners. Terrorist or
> freedom fighter - it's very subjective.

Ok, I know I'm replying to myself, but saw an interesting example of
cultural bias on SWG which appears to have got up a few peoples
noses.

There is apparently a 'Unification Day' holiday celebrated in SWG on
the 4th of July, and people are a little miffed that the continuity
has been bent around a US holiday.

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/board/message?board.id=Events&message.id=
4

Whilst it is fairly petty, I can see their point. The discussion on
the SWG board of the issue tends to be shut down by flag waving
zealots fairly quickly though ;)

Dan