[MUD-Dev] Online Gamers become enemies in the Real World

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Tue Jul 8 17:56:38 CEST 2003

From: Vincent Archer [mailto:archer at frmug.org]

> But, unlike classic griefing, where, once a griefer is expelled,
> he merely leaves some bad memories, but no lasting damage except
> to the social fabric from time to time, this griefing goes beyond
> that. The legacy of the griefer will remain in the game forever,
> or until the game map changes next year.

That may be, but anyone who has read this list for more than a week
would realise that relying on people to not communicate 'secret'
information is pure folly.

Even a solution has been debated before - the representation of
knowledge in game through flagging of the character. Thus the
representation that can only be communicated through in game
mechanics. E.g. a magic word opens a cave, but don't tell the player
the word, tell them that their character knows it and can open the
cave.

To adapt this to the Bedouin example, one might 'hide' the alters so
that they are not detectable in passing without :

   a) a search process with associated cost.

   b) being taken their and explicitly shown by someone who already
   knows.

If option b) had been the only route open to the griefer, I'm pretty
sure he wouldn't have shown too many people.

Dan