[MUD-Dev] When will new MMORPGs that are coming out get original withthe gameplay?

Paul Schwanz pschwanz at comcast.net
Wed Jul 9 13:07:06 CEST 2003

Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Matt Mihaly wrote:

>>> On the other hand, it is difficult to vote for what isn't on the
>>> ballot. It seems to me that originality is going to take some
>>> risks on the part of developers as well.

>> There are hundreds of MMORGs out there. The idea that they are
>> all the same is patently ludicrous. The gamers have voted and
>> they are voting, en masse, for one type of game.

> Oi. I would have mailed Paul privately but don't have his
> address. Didn't mean to imply that Paul is ludicrous in any
> way. =)

pschwanz at comcast dot net  ;)

And my point wasn't so much that there is no originality out there,
but moreso that any originality you see is the result of a developer
taking risks.  In other words, the original idea and its
implementation must precede the voting.  Of course, I'm preaching to
the choir here, since you could have chosen to make just another
DIKU.  Instead (rather ludicrously ;) ), you chose to do something
original.

--Phin