[MUD-Dev] A system for lives, death, old age, PK and perma death

Sasha Hart hart.s at attbi.com
Thu Jul 10 21:44:18 CEST 2003

[Eamonn O'Brien]

>> (A) When performance is high, lose states should be low-
>> probability, and when it is low they should be high-probability.

> I may be getting your meaning wrong here, but taking performance
> to mean the rate of progress the player is making, shouldnt the
> chance of something bad happening to him be higher with high
> performance?

Assume level gain rate was what I was talking about. (It wasn't but
I'm not sure it matters so much.) The only reason I can think of to
punish people for gaining levels fast is that you have some other
problem which you are trying to avoid, which is aggravated or
precipitated by people having too many levels or gaining them too
fast. Why not just cap it or end the game? (Or get rid of whatever
problem made it bad for people to have levels, since it sounds like
gaining levels is the premise of the game to begin with - you are
working at cross purposes with yourself.)

> Ideally you reach the level where your char base is pretty stable
> at a given point, if people can create a high level char every
> day, then you want to have on average of 1 high level char per
> player per day dying out to keep your population stable, if on the
> other hand it takes 2 months play to make a high level char you
> want to have about 1 high level char per 60 players dying out
> every day in order to prevent an unbalanced situation where the
> MUD fills up with very tough chars.

I wouldn't personally use PD to enforce this, since I think design
problems should be taken out on the designs. There are undoubtedly
better options, like soft caps, levels not just reflecting time,
levels not giving players game-destroying power, a defined end-game,
etc. - you have to make those work too, but you have to make
anything work. The choice doesn't have to be as grim as "Let the
players make my design explode OR put players who score 100 goals in
the foul box."