[MUD-Dev] A system for lives, death, old age, PK and perma death

Eamonn O'Brien decado at esatclear.ie
Fri Jul 11 20:09:12 CEST 2003

Paul Schwanz wrote:

> It would seem to be rather trivial for a "clan" to avoid being
> seen as such by the game engine.  If the members don't volunteer
> this information by conveniently notifying the game of their clan
> status, how will the game engine know?

In order for the players to get clan benefits, clan hall access,
clan channels, clan items etc they have to register as members of
the clan. Obviously a clan could form around a website but it would
seem a safe enough assumption that people who want to make a clan
will want to enjoy whatever clan facilities are supported in
game. As long as clan membership offers more than just a couple of
extra letters after your name I think it would be safe to assume
that most people interested in forming a clan will avail of those
benefits.

On a broader note I dont think there is anything you can do to stop
people who want to form a group outside the game for activities
inside it. The main worry though is what would happen if a dominant
clan decided to exploit their membership numbers in order to get
around the system. As long as you get a couple of relatively even
powered clans they should work to keep each other in check to some
extent, and I dont think that a clan that requires communication
over IRC or telephone or whatever will ever get a membership size
that can compete with that of the clans organized in game.

> Also, although it is possible for a player-character to suffer a
> PvE death, I don't think, by definition, they can ever PvE another
> player. Are you suggesting that players should lose a fraction of
> their lives every time they kill a mob?

Whoops, that should have read PK. Sorry.

Eamonn