[MUD-Dev] RE: Academic rejection of male/female paper

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Mon Jul 14 15:33:59 CEST 2003

On Saturday, July 12, 2003, at 05:25  PM, Castronova, Edward wrote:

> That's depressing, isn't it? No matter the discipline, everyone I
> talk to who works on games reports poo-pooing from the powers that
> be. Computer science even.

Not just the powers that be.  Casual observers, even many players.
Every day you can see complaints (or even just observations) about
in-game behavior replied to with "hey, it's just a GAME".  Of
course, when I say that about football or hockey, people object that
"that's different".  Uhuh.

Some days, I think online games will be taken seriously when bookies
start taking bets on them, but not before.

Amanda Walker