[MUD-Dev] Inside eGenesis: The Simulation of Power and Politics

Andrew L. Tepper teppy at egenesis.com
Tue Jul 15 12:05:58 CEST 2003

From: "Chris Holko" <cholko at mindspring.com>
> From: "J C Lawrence" <claw at kanga.nu>

>> Though being exiled does not ban your game account, it is quite
>> likely that if your character was exiled, you would quit the game
>> since we only allow one character per game account. You would
>> basically lose all the progress you've made in the game so far
>> and have to begin entirely anew, which is very discouraging to
>> say the least. Not surprisingly, some players are against the
>> whole idea of the DP ever using the exile power. Some players
>> have theorized that if the DP ever did use the power to exile an
>> enemy, it would be a pyrrhic victory at best since doing so would
>> immediately result in not only in revenge from that enemy's
>> allies but also the general animosity of a playerbase fearful of
>> exile. Thus, it would seem that brinksmanship would be the best
>> strategy, to threaten one's enemies with exile but never quite
>> actually do so.

> I do not like this idea, and I don't think it should have a place
> in any game where people pay money to participate.  I don't see
> how a game developer can justify allowing a player to essentially
> ruin another players game play.  Why not just let them have the
> switch to the server?  This is essentially the ultimate PK.

Understand that ATITD is a game about building the perfect
society. One of the most critical things any society does is decides
who to give power to. Elected ex-lawyers? Fundamentalist clerics?
Military leaders? It's a tough thing to get right. The Test of the
Demi-Pharaoh makes it very clear - it says, "You must trust
someone. Who?"

So far, I think this little (1700) community has done pretty
well. Egypt's first Demi-Pharaoh hasn't used the power, and seems to
be well liked. However, there may be trouble brewing. A very public
griefing incident occurred two days ago which destroyed several
weeks' work done by a small group of popular players. Maybe this
will prompt the Demi-Pharaoh to use her powers, or maybe others will
use the incident to grab power for themselves.

Players can write laws in ATITD, changing the rules of the
game. They can invent a court system, or create a position like a
sheriff, or anything else that doesn't alter the physical reality of
the game.

Andy Tepper