[MUD-Dev] Inside eGenesis: The Simulation of Power and Politi cs

Peter Tyson PeterT at codemasters.com
Wed Jul 16 09:08:26 CEST 2003

From: Andrew L. Tepper [mailto:teppy at egenesis.com]

> So far, I think this little (1700) community has done pretty
> well. Egypt's first Demi-Pharaoh hasn't used the power, and seems
> to be well liked.

> Players can write laws in ATITD, changing the rules of the
> game. They can invent a court system, or create a position like a
> sheriff, or anything else that doesn't alter the physical reality
> of the game.

On this list people often talk about giving players control over the
world and what the next generation MMORPGs might be about and here I
think we see -exactly- what it is all about.

I played ATITD for a time and the feeling of empowerment players
have is greater than in any other MMORPG I've ever played. People
discuss the laws being created and think before they vote because
the laws are very important to every player. They literally change
how the game plays for them.

Because of the importance of politics in ATITD the population is
heavily politicised yet also very sensible. Stupid laws really don't
get passed, partly for fear that the next stupid law might be about
them I think.

As for the Demi Pharaoh, this is exactly the kind of thing more
games need.  If she uses her power will be respected or hated (was
it Caligula who said "let them hate so long as they fear")? What
bearing will that have on her continued reign? Can players engineer
a plot to unseat the DP through making her use her powers unfairly
(or in a way that can be spun to be seen as unfair)?

Players want this kind of control and power over their world and
when given to them I believe can be surprisingly responsible. It
takes a certain kind of person to get into such positions of power
and I don't think that person is going to be a l33t gr13fer,
especially in a game like ATITD which attracts a more cerebral
player.

Remember, treat people like children and they will behave that way,
treat them with respect and ask them to step up and it is amazing
how often it will happen. Works on message boards, in real life, and
certainly in MMORPGs.

Peter Tyson
Community Liaison Manager
Dragon Empires - http://www.dragonempires.com