[MUD-Dev] Q&A with Ken Troop, Lead Designer at Turbine

Threshold RPG business at threshold-rpg.com
Sun Jul 20 00:18:14 CEST 2003

On 29 Jun 2003, at 14:27, Michael Tresca wrote:

>   Ken Troop: First, D&D Online is the real thing. Almost all
>   MMORPG's derive their character systems from a D&D model, but
>   only D&D Online will offer players the opportunity to create a
>   character that plays and feels like your original D&D character.

Huh? Bad online games derive their combat model from the extremely
simplistic (great for pen and paper) D&D combat model.

Most MMORPGs I have played (and most muds) have extremely complex
combat systems that are nothing like D&D whatsoever.

>   Also, combat in most MMORPG's tends to be very static and
>   turn-based you press an attack button and sit back and watch the
>   show. Combat in D&D Online is intense and real-time, requiring
>   tactical decisions at each moment of gameplay. You actually have
>   to play the game to succeed in combat, instead of just watching
>   the action go by.

Has this guy played any MMORPGs? First of all, D&D is a turn based
game. Will he kludge it into real time like so many games have
(poorly) done in the past?

In the MMORPGs I have played things are often quite frantic. Dealing
with aggro, crowd control, adds, protecting casters and healers,
timing special attacks properly, keeping tanks healed, keeping
defensive spells up, etc. involve constant involvement. They do not
involve sitting back and watching the show.

>   This is a world where you definitely wont be anonymous. The
>   actions you take and bonds you make become very important.

This sounds like someone running for President. HOW will this be
done? This is easy to be said, harder to do.

This sounds like the oft-heard (and totally false) mantra from every
MMORPG developer "our new game will be playable by the casual and
hard-core gamer alike!"

>   Out of all the MMPs that are currently out or coming out,
>   Dungeons and Dragons Online is the world I'd most want to play
>   in and not just because I am the lead designer.

Oh surely not! *snicker*

>   Ken Troop: Dungeon exploration is the central theme of
>   adventuring in Dungeons and Dragons, and we want to make sure we
>   do it justice in D&D Online. These dungeons are built on the
>   premise of, Only the wary shall survive. They are scary,
>   malicious places, full of tricks, traps and monsters. The deeper
>   you go, the more frightening it gets. Proper planning will be a
>   priority for making it through the dungeons with your head still
>   attached you'll need to prepare a strategy, keep on your toes
>   and work well with your adventuring party if you want to emerge
>   victorious at the end.

If they can simulate the exciting of dungeon delving in pen and
paper D&D, they will indeed have accomplished something unique and
very fun.

For the most part, the answers sounded like marketing talking points
more than facts about the game itself. :(