[MUD-Dev] Counting Massive Multi Players

Jeremy Gaffney jgaffney at ncaustin.com
Thu Jul 24 14:59:31 CEST 2003

From: Koster, Raph [mailto:rkoster at soe.sony.com]

> The longer the typical play session, the higher concurrency you'll
> get with your users, without reflecting your actual
> popularity... Perhaps the best measure would be "number of users
> who log in at least once a week." Far as I know, nobody makes that
> figure public.

We count it for Lineage by the month - ~2M unique accounts log in
per month in Korea, usually.  That probably isn't unique players, of
course (in theory it is since you need a social security number to
play, but it's impossible to confirm that).

Lineage 2 has ~120K users that try to log in simultaneously every
night, but unfortunately the servers can only hold ~63K users (we're
bringing more online, but training GMs takes time).  L1's up 10K
simultaneous users avg since L2 launched (marketing shadow effect,
or maybe people waiting to get into L2).

-jg