[MUD-Dev] RE: Value of PvP avatars (was: To Kill an Avatar)

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Thu Jul 24 20:53:59 CEST 2003

In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Thu 24 Jul, Robert Lemos wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 16:06, Castronova, Edward wrote:

> As long as the games have significantly more men then women and as
> long as the players tend to identify with their characters, I
> would say that there is going to be a price difference.

Not really.  If the explanation is purely economic then the price
difference is determined by supply and demand. For female avatars to
be priced lower than comparable male avatars either the supply must
be higher or the demand must be lower. As you just postulat- ed no
(or hardly any) interaction between those two markets the relative
sizes of them are irrelevant. This leaves open as one of the few
purely economical explanations that female players must be leaving
EQ en masse to create a significant difference in pri- ce between
male and female avatars.  (Another one being that, for some odd
reason, female players are willing to sell their charac- ter, but
are not as willing to buy one) I wonder if we could talk the make of
EQ into adding the option to switch gender of an avatar.  It would
be interesting to see if such an option has any effect on the
pricing of avatars.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,