R: [MUD-Dev] Counting Massive Multi Players

Ghilardi Filippo ghilardi at dsdata.it
Mon Jul 28 12:30:59 CEST 2003

From: Madrona Tree
> From: "Jeremy Gaffney" <jgaffney at ncaustin.com>

>> We count it for Lineage by the month - ~2M unique accounts log in
>> per month in Korea, usually.  That probably isn't unique players,
>> of course (in theory it is since you need a social security
>> number to play, but it's impossible to confirm that).

> Maybe this is a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.
> Why, if it is impossible to confirm Social Security Numbers, do
> you require one to play?

> Or are you saying that it *is* possible to confirm SSNs, but it is
> impossible to confirm that they aren't used for multiple accounts?

I suppose is really easy to check if same SSN is used more than once
(is just a simple query on a DB).

Probably SSN is like Fiscal Code in Italy. Is a 12 alphanumeric code
based on name and other things like birth date. There's ways to
check and see if it "could" be valid. But in no way you can be
sure. I could take a random name, random place and random birth date
and make a possible code.

Only a check against government databases could make it really
valid. But at this point there's privacy rules and can't be done.

I suppose those codes are asked as there could be laws that ask for
them.  At least is that in Italy

ciaooo