[MUD-Dev] MMO Launch issues ruining potential segments ofthemarket.

Scott Jennings scottj at mythicentertainment.com
Fri Jun 20 14:26:26 CEST 2003

From: "Chris Holko" <cholko at mindspring.com>

> I can categorize DAOC and EQ monster AI, follow player until hell
> freezes over, or in the case of EQ until the player leaves.

Untrue in DAOC's case. I'll try to keep the "homer" boosterism low,
but in DAOC's original release we had monsters that would actively
"scout" players and return with more instead of mindlessly
attacking. Monsters also would break off pursuit after being lead
far enough away from their home.

In the last expansion, monster AI was increased significantly - many
encounters are extremely complex. In one of my favorites, a leader
of an enemy race will challenge your group to "honorable" combat. As
long as you don't try to leave or bring others, he will fight your
group by himself - if one of your party flees or otherwise trips his
"dishonorable conduct" flag, his coterie of followers, which up to
this point have watched the show from the sidelines, jump in at his
command.

Interestingly, and sadly, much of this content has been ignored by
the players, since they find encounters that require that much
thought less preferable to the standard stand in one spot - pull -
kill - repeat cycle.  We're working on correcting this for the next
expansion by tweaking the risk/reward ratio for complex encounters.

But to say that AI in MMOs is nonexistent is unfair - the players
just prefer that it be that way.

---
Scott Jennings
Programmer