[MUD-Dev] D&D and MMORPGs

Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Sat May 17 00:29:24 CEST 2003

Well, I guess the whole issue has become considerably more relevant.
We knew it was going to happen sooner than later...

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://michael.tresca.net

From: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/ddonline/news_6028104.html

--<cut>--
Turbine, the creator of Asheron's Call, is working with Atari to
produce a D&D online RPG for 2005.

Atari and Turbine Entertainment today announced Dungeons & Dragons
Online, a massively multiplayer online RPG set in the
well-established worlds of D&D.  The game will focus on challenging
dungeon combat, guild politics, and territorial control over parts
of the world. You will be able to create characters based on the
classic D&D races and classes and will engage in physical and
magical combat with foes taken directly from the D&D Monster Manual
rulebook.

"Dungeons & Dragons is the ultimate fantasy role-playing game. It
has introduced more people to game playing than any other title and
has spawned hosts of imitators and admirers," said Jeffrey Anderson,
president and CEO of Turbine Entertainment. "The social backbone of
D&D gaming--groups of friends creating adventures and worlds to
explore together--along with its rich fiction, immense monster
bestiary, and complex character development make it a natural for
the next generation of massively multiplayer game."

Dungeons & Dragons Online is scheduled for 2005.
--<cut>--