[MUD-Dev] Database vs. Disk

Tom tom at interspaces.com
Sat May 17 11:03:25 CEST 2003

Greets,

I'm sure this has been addressed before, although I haven't found
anything really direct so far. Aside from conjecture, does anyone
have some practical experience using a database as opposed to disk
for storing MUD objects, or projects and experience similar enough.

We're considering moving to database because it'd provide us alot of
extra versatility, but I'd like some informed opinions. Not so much
whether a SQL database would be more efficient, but would it be
drastically inefficient on a MUD with a large number of objects
(500,000 to 2,000,000)?

I know it depends on many factors, let's assume a mySQL database
without alot of bells and whistles on the DB end (stored procedures,
etc.).

I'm not trying to start a holy war, I just wanted some practical
advice on whether this is even worth considering, and maybe some
blantant issues we should be aware of by attempting it.

    Much thanks,
    T.M.