[MUD-Dev] Database vs. Disk

Sean Kelly sean at ffwd.cx
Sat May 17 13:38:39 CEST 2003

Tom wrote:

> We're considering moving to database because it'd provide us alot
> of extra versatility, but I'd like some informed opinions. Not so
> much whether a SQL database would be more efficient, but would it
> be drastically inefficient on a MUD with a large number of objects
> (500,000 to 2,000,000)?

Hardly, though efficiency almost entirely depends on design, both
with a file and DB system.  The bottom line is that a DB need not be
any less efficient than a file-based design and has the potential to
be more fault tolerant, more flexible, and scale better.  But in the
same breath I'd say stick with what you know--I've seen some
horrendous DB designs in my day.

> I know it depends on many factors, let's assume a mySQL database
> without alot of bells and whistles on the DB end (stored
> procedures, etc.).

Stored procedures lend abstraction and a significant speed boost.
Until MySQL supports them I wouldn't reccommend it for a midsize or
greater (say tens of millions of rows or more) performance-sensitive
DB design. But like file-based systems, you can (and should) do a
lot with operation queuing and in-memory caching.

Sean