[MUD-Dev] Database vs. Disk

Chris Holko cholko at mindspring.com
Mon May 19 06:27:37 CEST 2003

From: "Tom" <tom at interspaces.com>

> We're considering moving to database because it'd provide us alot
> of extra versatility, but I'd like some informed opinions. Not so
> much whether a SQL database would be more efficient, but would it
> be drastically inefficient on a MUD with a large number of objects
> (500,000 to 2,000,000)?

Why wouldn't a true DB be more efficient?  If anything I cannot
imagine a bunch of MUD programmers coming up with anything to rival
true DB technology.  It seems that most MMORPGs that came out as
well as MUDs that exist prove that most of these programmers do more
than they know.

Don't overlook the fact that SQL gives you many opportunities to
manage your data better and extract information in ways that would
be many times more difficult if you had to write it by hand.