[MUD-Dev] Objects

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sat May 24 09:52:55 CEST 2003

On Fri, 23 May 2003 23:06:20 -0400
Ben Chambers <bjchamb at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Any good sources of information on the design of object hierarchies or
> other methods of creating objects?  Basically, what is the best way of
> setting up a mud to allow for most any object to be created with
> minimal re-coding of underlying code?

This is a hard problem.  Without a full specification of your
requirement space up-front for your hierarchy, its damn near impossible.
The annoying thing is that in general the easiest route to a full
specification is to map out your entire object hierarchy and game
requirements before you ever touch a hand to code.

> I'm planning on implementing this in LPC, so some code will be
> possible, but I don't want them to have to re-write object management
> in order to create a container or something like that.

I'd start out by digging thru the implementations of Lima, Nightmare,
and any other LPC mudlibs you can find.  IIRC George Reese pulled both
from public distribution, but I suspect some Google groveling would turn
up copies.

In that line, George's design and dev documents for Nightmare:

  http://www.dnd.utwente.nl/~krimud/Docs/docs.html

Other potentially interesting LPC mudlibs:

  Merentha: http://www.merentha.com/mudlib/
  Discworld: http://www.lost.nu/
  Shattered Realms: http://sourceforge.net/projects/shatteredrealms/
  Dragon: http://dusers.drexel.edu/~ddenweb/mudlib.html

There are also various LPC related bits on ftp.kanga.nu.

--
J C Lawrence