[MUD-Dev] Scripting Languages and Magic

Nicolai Hansen root at nicolaihansen.dk
Thu Nov 6 09:47:50 CET 2003

Mats Lidstrom wrote:
>> Marian Griffith said, regarding viking-era scandinavian runes:

>>> However, it is uncertain if those runes were really used as an
>>> alphabet. It may well be that they were more like the signs of
>>> the zodiac.  Part of an extensive religious and magical system,
>>> but not an alphabet.  (i.e. you can not write down arbitrary
>>> messages in them)

>> The Norse runes most certainly were used as an alphabet.  Their
>> use as an alphabet dates to several centuries before the viking
>> period.  Runic inscriptions are quite common throughout the
>> Scandinavian countries, and the language has been translated.
>> Any decent book on medieval scandinavian culture will include
>> pictures of inscriptions and their translations.  And it was
>> definitely used for more than religious and magical inscriptions.
>> I recall reading about one archaeological find which included a
>> tablet (I believe wood) with what was essentially a shopping
>> list. Unfortunately, I can't recall a reference for that.

Pictures of the famous Jellinge Stone with translation of the
inscription, both in Norse and "ordinary" english ;)

  http://www.northvegr.org/leidstjarna/mothernight2002/viking009.php

The page also got some swedish and norwegian rune stones, but
without translations.  The runic alphabet can be found at

  http://www.omniglot.com/writing/runic.htm

so you can translate for yourself ;)

/Nic