[MUD-Dev] MUD-Dev conference 2003/2004

Brian 'Psychochild' Green brian at psychochild.org
Tue Nov 11 15:39:31 CET 2003

Hello all,

As you may know, I was one of the organizers and participants in the MDC
conference this year.  I think the response was good enough that it's
worthwhile discussing the possibility of a similar conference next year
as well.

The goal is to make the conference useful to MUD developers, including
text and graphical developers, social and game developers, and hobbyist
and commercial developers.  Personally, I thought the MDC was great,
personal biases aside.  I got the opportunity to hang out with people
doing actual work in the field instead of attending hit-or-miss sessions
that may or may not cover what you expect at that "other conference". ;)

To this end, I'd like to find out what people thought of this year's
conference, and what people would like to see in next year's conference.
  A few questions to lead the discussion:

Was this year's conference (2003) useful?  Did it meet your needs as a
MUD developer?  Granted, maybe not every talk was right up your alley,
but did you get good utility out of enough sessions to justify the
entrance price?

Do you think it's worth staying in the San Jose area longer to attend
next year's MDC?  Would you be willing to travel beyond downtown San
Jose for the conference?

Should next year's conference (2004) expand?  Would multiple tracks be
worthwhile?  Would a two-day conference be worthwhile?  Given the
preference between two+ tracks on one day or 1 track over 2 days, which
is preferrable?

What kind of talks are you interested in?  Was the mix at this year's
conference good?  (Remember, we do want to serve a wide audience, so we
can't just focus on one particular topic. ;)

What did you think of the venue?  Was it hard to find?  Was it too
cramped?  Did you like the atmosphere?

Would you be interested in seeing demos of other people's work at the
conference?  Would you be interested in showing demos of your own work
at the conference for a small fee to cover setup costs for electricity
and internet connection?

Are you interested in an organized get-together after the conference
somewhere social?  There's a Dave & Busters (think grown-up Chuck E.
Cheese's) nearby that could handle the group.  Would you be interested
in paying a bit extra for a conference room and food in the evening?

If the moderator would forward responses to this to Meta, we can carry
on the discussion there without too much hassle for the main list.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

--
"And I now wait / to shake the hand of fate...."  -"Defender", Manowar
          Brian Green, brian at psychochild.org  aka  Psychochild
        |,4-  ) )-,_..;\ (  `'-'        http://www.meridian59.com/
       '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)            An online RPG with character