[MUD-Dev] Web vs. Java client

Mike Shaver shaver at off.net
Wed Nov 12 09:02:16 CET 2003

On Nov 10, Jeff Fuller wrote:
> Mike Shaver wrote:

>> That's something that requires some evangelism, then

> But are you trying to write a game or promote a technology? You
> want to be careful not to deviate from your primary goal(which I
> assume is to present an engaging environment for people to spend
> their time in).

I agree completely.  By evangelism, I mean that convincing the user
that whichever technology choice you make (telnet-only, Java, XUL,
eqgame.exe) is going to disrupt them minimally, and provide a good
gameplay experience.

If people are willing to accept the installation of a Java plugin
for their existing browser, I think the fact that a Firebird-derived
client is a) smaller, and b) completely partitioned from their
working browser installation makes for a feasible sell.

(A lot of games are sold on technology, though, and I think people
are vey much involved in promoting their game, so tech evangelism
isn't something totally afield from the "business" of running a
MUD.)

Mike