[MUD-Dev] Re: Advantage for outside skills

Paul Schwanz pschwanz at comcast.net
Fri Nov 14 09:29:23 CET 2003

"T. Alexander Popiel" wrote:
> In message: <21B26BB5102AD31194D00050049B9F5CA71509 at ORIGIN-MS1>
> Jeff Fuller <jfuller at originmail.com> writes:
>> Ben Greear wrote:

>> You don't want your RPG to become a test of coding skills? Unless
>> of course your game is some kind of game involving programming :)

> How is this any different than giving advantage to those people
> with the social networking and leadership skills to be able to
> organize hunting parties and clans?

[snip]

> You don't want your RPG to become a test of social skills?  Unless
> of course your game is some kind of game involving politics. :)

Ah, but you do.  Because when your game inevitably runs short on
content, or when that content becomes boring or even tedious, social
bonds are your most likely source of retention, making people with
social networking skills especially valuable.

On the other hand, if you can design your game to leverage coders to
augment content, I see no reason not to have your advancement
mechanism select for coding skills as well.

--Phin