[MUD-Dev] MMORPG: where to start for making and running a game

ceo ceo at grexengine.com
Fri Nov 14 13:43:20 CET 2003

Lee Sheldon wrote:

> I'm also curious about "...you can't simply cobble together a
> bunch of single-player game-developers and make an MMO..." My
> perception is that quite a few of those on the development team
> are MMO veterans (as much as you can be a veteran in this type of
> game), many from UO. Several are members of this list. I know
> we're not going to get any real figures about the number of people
> playing, but I'd love to hear from somebody if this statement of
> single-player predominance is accurate.

> Why? Because it suggests a prejudice. Does single-player
> experience = low quality MMO? Are MUDs or tabletop the only
> possible training grounds for developers of MMOs?

Being superficial, the relative failure of EA MMO games appears to
indicate yes to the first question. The stale state of commercial
MMOG's (c.f. Daniel's recent comment that he was bored of the
same-old same-old) would suggest to me that the answer is no to the
second :).

Although... I've no particular knowledge of MCO, Majestic, TSO etc,
other than having played them and spotted similar repeated problems
where the gameplay just wasn't remotely suited to the "medium" (is
there a more appropriate word to describe MMO as a transport for
gameplay? I fear I'm mis-appropriating that word...)

Adam M