[MUD-Dev] Second Life's customers own the IP of their creations

Corey Crawford ccrawford at seventh.net
Thu Nov 20 12:07:25 CET 2003

From: Christer Enfors XW (TN/PAC)

> I'm most likely wrong on this, but I always thought that the
> author of something (say, an object in Second Life) always own
> copyright (IP == copyright?) on it. Just because the terms of
> service may say otherwise, that doesn't supercede copyright law,
> does it?

> So if I'm right, this doesn't really change anything. Authors have
> always owned their work, even if the producers of the authors'
> tools don't realise this.

I don't see why the TOS doesn't apply. Many companies own inventions
and patents created by their employees. If you enter a contract
saying that whatever you create using the tools provided to you by X
is also owned by X .. well you don't have to sign the contract, but
then you also won't be able to use the tools.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer so I could be wrong.

--
Corey Crawford
ccrawford at seventh.net