[MUD-Dev] Second Life's customers own the IP of their creatio ns

Ren Reynolds ren at aldermangroup.com
Fri Nov 21 19:13:54 CET 2003

Corpheous Andrakin wrote

> Your response leads heavily back to the discussion that I started
> about "Who owns my sword?". Unlike many of the other topics that
> have arisen,

> I don't believe this one was actually closed (was it?), it just
> kind of died off.

No it just migrated over to terranova and became "Who owns my light
saber"

> Players should be able to sell items gained in-game -Game
> companies should not be able to be liable for said in-game items
> real world value

Well taking a strong difference between _should_ and _can_ \ _have
legal rights to_ then that's where we were going yes.

> Players selling their "time" to obtain an item or to power-level
> is legal (I believe this was proven in court)

I think this is moot and depends on which world, which EULA etc

> Whether or not the game companies like it, players WILL find a way
> to sell/trade items outside of their economy and game structure,
> so someone should make a law setting some ground rules

Yup we defiantly agreed this I think

Crosbie Fitch

>  wonder if recognising a player's copyright (right to control >
>  reproduction) then grants them a right to a copy of their work?

Yes I wondered this too, However I don't think that the legal right
to do something confers a duty on the world to allow you to actually
do something. Take the example of a novel - if I write one I have
the copyright and the legal right to publish it, but that does not
mean that I can force a publisher to print it.

Similarly I doubt that a duty to provide access is forced on the
games company, at lest in the limited example we are talking about
here, I think that there are some circumstances where there may be
some extra game forces at work but I posted that on terranova so
there is no point re-posting here.

Ren
www.renreynolds.com