[MUD-Dev] ghost mode (was Re: SW:G)

Erik Bethke erik at taldren.com
Wed Sep 10 10:09:27 CEST 2003

Daniel Harman wrote:

> Watching people play computer games is wildly over-rated. Have you
> ever spectated in Quake etc? Fun for 5 minutes and then utterly
> tiresome - its not a medium that is easy to present to the viewer.

> I can't think of a single MMORPG where the gameplay and graphics
> are sufficiently interesting that I'd want to remotely spectate
> any of them unless I was trying to obtain tactics for completing
> an encounter.

I am mostly an explorer-type player myself.  One of the most vivid
experiences I had in SWG to date occured on my 3rd session of play
when my wookie was just roaming across the rolling grasslands of
southern Naboo when I came across a fierce rifle battle between a
half dozen imperial droid troops and about a dozen gungan warriors.
Because my character was of low-level and neutral I was able to walk
right up to members of either side of this cool battle and check it
out.  It turned out that there was one higher level PC that this
whole encounter was spawned for.  I was effectively a ghost.  From
that moment on I imagined SWG as being so much cooler than my
previous frog-smashing experience.

In other words by having all the cool content behind iron curtains
you out on advertising what is the cool stuff to come.  I think we
just have spent much more time figuring out chat, inventory and
combat mechanics relative to spectating mechanics.

And, as a matter of fact, myself and many of my coworkers do like to
hang out and watch good players play any game - even Quake.

-Erik