[MUD-Dev] play styles and difficulty settings

ceo ceo at grexengine.com
Thu Sep 11 18:10:09 CEST 2003

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:

> I must confess that I'm surprised you use the easy modes, from
> what I can gather from articles on the subject its very uncommon
> for a player to have the humility to select anything less than
> 'standard difficulty'. I know I'm too proud for a start!

Ahem, merely to demonstrate how widely differing are the ways in
which people play games, I always play anything that I suspect will
be complicated or tricky on easy for the first few weeks. Often I do
this because I don't have time to faff about with learning curves,
and playing on normal or hard wastes too much of my (precious
little) game-playing time.

OTOH, it may just be that I've learnt how to offset being a newbie
in a new style of game; ISTR that games where I've played the genre
before I'm happy to start on normal - it's just new stuff
(e.g. Shogun). Although I did also start Quake3 on easy...I was
happy to ramp up the difficulty as I got used to the ins and outs of
the game.

Humility? What's that? ;)

Adam M