[MUD-Dev] [DGN]: Ludicrous speed.

Yaka St.Aise yaka at st-aise.com
Thu Sep 11 18:43:32 CEST 2003

At 09:29 -0400 03/09/10, Chris Duesing wrote:

> I am not a professional game developer, so I cannot truly speak to
> your concerns. However, I do not see this as improving anything,
> since you would need all of the information you originally needed
> for the 3D client plus more. Now if your game was completed on the
> server side and it was going to be 3 months before the client was
> finished, then I could see this as a useful means of starting QA
> early to test game mechanics. Does that ever happen?

Maybe it should ;)

Actually, the lead of making a crossmode-enabled game engine looks
pretty much like a technical dead-end to me, as I stated above. This
said, I'm used to the unexpected, and I probably hope somebody will
come forth and tell me in practical terms how dumb I am because it
is a workable model, and we simply have to do this and that to
achieve it.

I believe the issues of team dynamics and vision building, as they
are related to the ability to prototype early in the design process,
be it only at a proof-of-concept level, should be a concern for all
game designers, professionals and hobbyists alike, for even though
the models may show real differences, they both rely on teamwork.
The bigger the project/team, the more team dynamics and the
attention devoted to building and keeping a common and practical
vision of the game among team members will make a difference.  Of
course, some hurdles faced by commercial gamemakers during
development are very specific (financial and business concerns
factor in a lot), but burning out or losing contact with the vision,
the teamates or the playerbase is a pitfall we all should be careful
to avoid.

To this end, the practical discussion and experimentation around a
working - if "lighter" - implementation of the same high concepts
your full-featured 3D game will rely on may be an opportunity to
create some commonality and familiarity with the game design
defining elements among those who work on it, hopefully preventing a
lot of misunderstanding-based waste of time, talent (and money in
commercial games).  Basically, it could allow the same level of
familiarity with the game universe and its inner logic that is
granted by working on a sequel or a novel or movie.

Best,
	Yaka.