[MUD-Dev] Client side simulation

Nate Combs {Home} ncombs at roaringshrimp.com
Fri Apr 2 20:16:48 CEST 2004

At 03:56 AM 4/3/2004 +0700, dienw wrote:

> Is it worth to design a client side simulation model?

> Contrast with common server side simulation, and clients receiving
> states update only.

> Means it's a client/server model, but server only passing events
> (and maybe validating and control some central issue like timing).
> Real implementation is in each client. If everything runs well, it
> will run in sync. If any out-of-sync happen, server should
> invalidate the session.

> The reason behind is to reduce server load to the clients.

Depends upon how much you trust your clients.  If you don't, I can't
imagine how you can make it work securily easily (or at all).  While
I have heard of client-based proposals based on voting
schemes.. etc., they feel hard and not fool-proof.  Would like to
hear if anyone can cite a good survey paper along these lines.