[MUD-Dev] 2d mapping in SQL

Mon Apr 5 22:32:57 CEST 2004

"Matt Chatterley" <zen31329 at zen.co.uk> writes:

> On the technical front, all of my data is stored in SQL (MySQL-5
> to be precise, which is entertaining by itself), which gives me
> the interesting challenge of representing my objects in a
> relational database. So. Without further ado, my current approach:

> The map is to be 2d. For the time being, a 3d map has been deemed
> unnecessarily complicated (not technically, but from a game-play
> point of view). Should the game grow beyond my current
> expectations, a future implementation may involve 3d mapping, but
> for a primarily textual web-page interface, it is overkill to
> start with.

I am curious if anyone has any experience with mapping spatial data
to a relational database. There are some obvious approaches for
mapping spatial points to fast 1-D indexing: quadtrees,
hilbert-curves etc. Still, what works in practice? Assuming you want
cluster the points in the same area on the same (disk) page.

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/