[MUD-Dev] [TECH][TOOLS] SCM systems

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at alltel.net
Tue Apr 6 03:09:54 CEST 2004

"Erik Bethke" wrote:

> investigating...  Vesta did not have enough users for us to feel
> comfortable... So instead we are now using:

>   Subversion: http://subversion.tigris.org/

> It is the long-anticipated wholly-new written answer to CVS.  It
> has a nice clean Windows client as well.  Free, open source.

It's very nice.  I've been using it less than a month with no
problems.  Just the other day I was able to move, rename the entire
project directory structure in less than two minutes (of course it's
not much of project yet). And that from the svn client rather than
the admin tool.  With cvs this would have been a pain in the ass.
Branching, tagging and revision numbering is also much simplified.

There is one feature that is missing from subversion.  Permanent
deletion of a module.  Currently the only mechanism I think to do
that is to dump the repository and hand edit the logs, and then load
it.  Hopefully it isn't something you'd have to do very often.

I really liked bitkeeper and began learning it and using it.  The
merge capabilities were very very nice.  The license however is
obnoxious.  For all practical purposes, even people who are working
on open source software keep private source repositories.  Ah well.
Of course if I'm buying it, a number of other products suddenly
become competitive.  In the past I've used Intersolve's PVCS,
CS-RCS, Visual Sourcesafe, and Rational's Clearcase at a number of
client sites.  I've thought Clearcase to be the best I've used.

I'm converting all of my projects to Subversion here.  With the
exception of my Word documents for now.  I keep all of that in
CS-RCS as it's extraordinarily convenient because there is a plugin
for Word.  Hopefully there'll be a lot of plugin activity for
Subversion soon.

--
J. Lambert
- let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth