[MUD-Dev] [News] Virtual goods--Oh, the controversy!

Matt Mihaly the_logos at ironrealms.com
Fri Apr 9 05:40:44 CEST 2004

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, David Kennerly wrote:
> Kramer qtd. Terdiman in Wired News, April 7, 2004:

>> "From a design perspective, our developers don't like it, because
>> essentially what it comes down to is it rewards the rich. It sort
>> of cheapens the experience for people who have invested the time
>> in the game to get to a certain level.

> But it does bring up the question: What is so holy about "time"?
> It would be one of the most equally distributed resources, if
> lifespans were relatively equal.  But poor people that work for a
> living don't have as much disposable time as rich people that play
> for a living do.

Yep, quite right. We find our players with money appreciate being
able to obtain things with money that would otherwise take more time
than they're willing to spend. Why spending money is controversial
and spending time is not is beyond me. My time is far more valuable
to me than my money. Money is replaceable.

--matt