[MUD-Dev] Player Justice

Freeman Freeman
Fri Apr 9 08:37:08 CEST 2004

From: ceo
> Freeman, Jeff wrote:

>> We noticed very early on that players had a very, VERY strong
>> sense of ownership in "their towns".  Allowing players to take
>> towns away from each other would have been a pretty bad thing, in
>> that context.

> Why is this bad?

In this system the players build the town from the ground up out of
nothing.  They pool their money and resources and after building the
town, they feel that the town is their town.  Their homes are there,
along with their merchants, stores and factories.  The town isn't
just something they own, it's everything they own.

> It strikes me that this is all the more reason to allow it. Taking
> away the things that are a natural cause of tension and strife
> makes the world less exciting, more predictable, and bland, no?

People quit games over pvp-stealing, tradewindow scams and
house-breakins.  This is all that rolled into one.  It's a bad idea,
unless you don't work for SOE in which case you should implement
something like this right away.