[MUD-Dev] [News] Virtual goods--Oh, the controversy!

Jeff Fuller jeff at originmail.com
Wed Apr 14 11:34:09 CEST 2004

Vincent Archer wrote:=20

> After 6 weeks, I gave up in disgust, and went back to EQ.=20 Where
> I had left a level 60 character before Planes of Power, which took
> 2 weeks playing with another set of people I knew=20 to "catch up"
> (I could and did group with them during the time).

> That's a problem with level-based segregation of content. The
> content=20 is separated, but the playerbases are as well.

Personally I see this as more of a failure of the publisher to
maintain a fair spread of various level players as well as
continuosly growing the player base. Especially in games like EQ
that force grouping for most classes. Lower level content is not
very compelling nor is it the focus of expansions. Because of this
you get verteran players, who could continueally refresh the lower
level game by trying other classes, power-leveling through the first
70% of content because it's boring.

I feel bad for a new EQ or DAoC player. They've joined a massive
online community, but have no one to play with. Lower level zones
are barren and leveling a support class is near impossible.