[MUD-Dev] [News] Virtual goods--Oh, the controversy!

baar at imperian.com baar at imperian.com
Wed Apr 14 23:44:56 CEST 2004

Otis Viles <drey at speakeasy.org> wrote:
> Ryan S. Dancey wrote:

>> Don't allow trades between players.  End of problem.

> That doesn't cover selling accounts though ...

I think that was the point. Disallow selling accounts in your Terms
of Service and this issue will be solved at least on the theoretical
level. If I recall correctly, about 2 years ago some accounts
(characters) on one of the Iron Realms titles (Achaea) were
permanently banned because they were caught sharing characters. I'd
heard that some money may have been involved though I don't know if
that is true.  But these players had, to the best of my knowledge
invested money into their characters and they most definitely
invested a great deal of time into them. However they violated a
very clear and simply rule:

  "Sharing characters, or transferring or selling a character from
  one person to another is strictly prohibited. It is terribly out
  of character and will be punished with deletion."

David