[MUD-Dev] Story Generators

Douglas Goodall dgoodall at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 19 11:41:28 CEST 2004

Travis Nixon wrote:
> From: "Mirjam Eladhari" <mirjam.eladhari at interactiveinstitute.se>

>>   Game Design Challenge: The Love Story
>>     Speaker(s): Raph Koster, Warren Spector, Will Wright, Eric Zimmerman

>> Eric Zimmerman does a really good panel moderation and the three
>> others present their designs. Raph Koster presents a story
>> generator

> Is there any more information on this "story generator" that Raph
> presented anywhere?  Is it something that already exists?  Give me
> links.  I must have links!

I wasn't aware that Raph Koster was working on one. But there are
two others. Neither one is finished or has been used in a commercial
game. Only one is available.

  The Erasmatron:
    http://www.erasmatazz.com/

Which is more of an attempt to create narratives based on simulated
feelings, not creating narratives based on, say, Propp's Morphology
of the Folktale.

  FreeSpeak:
    http://www.igda.org/writing/InteractiveStorytelling.htm

Which is mentioned in a few places like this, but never fully
explained.

And there's also Brutus:

  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0805819878/qid=1082212639/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/102-5998529-1976926?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

A program that writes non-interactive stories and an interesting
book. I can't think of an easy way to apply the same techniques to a
game.